Monday, January 17, 2011

Karibu

I had to drag myself out of bed on the first morning at Bosco Boys. I had not had a good night's sleep, on account of the unfamiliar cacophony of grasshoppers, dogs, birds and Chinese-operated diggers which thundered on throughout the night. I got up though and made my way to the chapel for 6.30 mass with the boys.

I walked into the chapel to find a hundred identical shaven black heads atop a hundred identical grey uniforms turn towards me. A bit unsure of myself, I sat down at the first available pew - safe for the time being.

The mass itself was unremarkable, largely given that it was unintelligible to me being, as it was, entirely in Kiswahili. But I remember being blown away by the sound of the boys singing, backed by guitar, African drums and rainshaker.

After mass I was asked by the priest to stand up at the front to introduce myself and 'say a few words'. I'm not sure which words in particular he wanted me to say but given that he had already told them that I was Simon from England and I'd be here for three months he had already taken my best material. Judiciously, I decided that some degree of repetition was called for. 'Hi everyone! I'm Simon. I'm from England. And I'm here for 3 months. I look forward to getting to know you all!' Hardly an Oscar-winning performance, I know, but it got a welcoming round of applause.

I then had to go and do the same in front of the pupils at the school.

Later, one of the boys confessed to me that he hadn't understood a word of what I'd said on either occasion but he liked it because it was short. 'Some of these people come and stand and look lost and confused and talk for aaages.' A vindication for not waffling!

Throughout the first day - indeed, the whole week - all the staff and volunteers and people associated with Bosco Boys were very welcoming. Everyone said 'karibu' to me, meaning 'welcome'. One teacher who had already welcomed me three times in our conversation ended it by using what has become my favourite use of the imperative: 'Feel welcomed!'

For their part, the boys' reception was less enthused, but some of the more confident ones did make an effort to come shake my hand and others made a high five or fist bump as they passed me.

I also got to try out my first bit of kiswahili. If you say 'Mambo' (hey) to a young person they'll reply 'Poa' (cool). That was really fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment