Monday, January 17, 2011

Arrived at last

Here I am, sitting at my new desk in my new room in my new home for the next few months. I feel tired and thirsty but also glad to be finally here.

Before I left, everyone I met and everything I read seemed to have something extra to tell me about Kenya or Africa. These ranged from "you'll love it there, for sure" to "don't forget to take your own syringes", from "the people are so welcoming" to "watch your back" and "Nairobi is affectionately known among tourists as Nairobbery".

Even the Nationwide employee who I met earlier this week told me that since humans originated from there, going to Africa will feel like going home.

All this, added to my own perceptions and preconceptions of Africa meant that my idea of what I was letting myself in for was a bewildering, schizophrenic mess.

So, above all, I feel a certain amount of relief that I'm now here so that I can get down to experiencing things for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment